Tuesday, April 26, 2005

because you never know...

I was recently visiting a hardward store with my dad looking for parts to a faucets. Following my "manly" inclinations I went to look at the knife section where an older gentleman who I recognized from a communication class I had taken almost six years ago. He asked me, "may I help you?" to which I simply responded, "No, thanks. I'm just looking." "Come on, let me help you!" he quickly replied. This actually caught me off guard and then he asked for my name.

After telling him, he quickly recalled who I was and re-introduced himself. The reason why he remembered me no doubt, was because he and I shared Christian convictions in our communications class against a Wiccan young lady who spoke regarding her religion. Also, while I was still a member of the Methodist campus ministry, I was able to invite him to a luncheon where I spoke on the Beatitudes.

We meet people all the time. Sometimes we meet them and stay friends with them. Sometimes, as in this case with this man John, we met, shared faiths and never crossed paths for almost six years. Reluctantly, he remembered all that I had said in that study on the Beautitudes. This was so encouraging. As a methodist who was Reformed in theological persuasion, I was not well recieved by many there. Constant bickering against me and arguing against me made that period of my life very difficult to bear. But now, looking back, God has made it clear that even in the midst of my personal troubles and persecution for my faith, God was able to use me to deliver His word to this one man.

Many who know me know my email address as PRCHDAWORD. I derived that from II Timothy 4:2 which says to "Preach the word! Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching." This shows that God always honors His word regardless of our personal circumstances. His Word goes forth and does not return void but accomplishes all that He desires it too (cf Isaiah 55:11). This is what I did by the grace of God alone.

For any who think that their labors in the Lord are in vain, I say to you, reconsider! Just because you don't see immediate fruits or people coming up to you and telling you how much your ministry means to them, that doesn't mean that it is meaningless. While we would like to have those things, we must put our trust in God and not in men or results in ministry to determine effectiveness. We are not called to be "effective" by God. We are called to preach and to leave the "effectiveness" to the Holy Spirit of God. I pray that God would work that into our hearts and the conviction to "preach the word" no matter what circumstances because God is sovereign.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home