Friday, April 22, 2005

A new pope

well I'm sure those of you who read this have been awaiting my comments on the election of the new pope. Well here they are...

First of all, I think Joseph Ratzinger (from here Pope Benedict XVI) was probably the best choice for Rome according to her historical standards. Before becoming the Pontiff, Benedict XVI served as the late Pope John Paul II's theological advisor. I have only read a few of his writings personally, but I can say that he is consistent with Rome's positions that have been infallibly and dogmatically defined at Trent, Vatican I and Vatican II. As such, he seems to be the man to lead the Roman Catholic Church according to her "never changing faith" and against the advancements of Modernism in the Church.

All that aside, what does he mean to Protestants? I have heard that he has criticized all non-Roman Catholic denominations -whether Christian or not - as "deficient" for salvation. This is true to Catholic dogma. I only wonder what this is going to mean for Protestants as far as how strict he will be in regards to how he presents Roman Catholicism to over one billion Catholics world-wide. I don't think I expect this Pope to reach out ecumenically but rather to advance what he believes to be the true faith of God found in Roman Catholicism alone. Because he is a theologian, I think he will have strong reasons for asserting Roman Catholic dogma over all else.

I wonder if we can expect any Ex Cathedra statements from Benedict XVI regarding Mary. As it was, John Paul II was under pressure by over one million catholics to infalliby define Mary as the "Co-Redeemer" with Christ. Although, he was devout Marian and believed that his life was saved from assassination through her intercession, he never went that far for probably ecumenical reasons. Benedict XVI seems to be one, however, because of his theological background and training, to disregard ecumenical concerns for upholding what he believes to the the truth faith and Tradition of the church.

At 78, I think we can expect his reign to be short. But because it is short, it must be significant. I would keep my doctrinal ears open in regards to what Benedict XVI may do. I'm sure that American Catholics, because the liberal strain that exists within American Catholicism, will not be pleased with his doctrinal policies. I believe it was Benedict XVI, while still a cardinal, who criticized American priests and Catholic in the 2004 election for administering the eucharist to John Kerry and any who would vote for him because he believed in the legality of abortion, which is considered to be a mortal sin in the Catholic Church.

Interestingly enough, I find it interesting that the Papal Bull, Unam Santum, which infallibly defined the universal submission to the Bishop of Rome (the Pope) is practically failing. You would think that if part of being Catholic means being submitted to the Pope or else risking the loss of salvation, that people - for fear of their eternal state - would submit to his rule being that they believe that to Peter alone and his successors were given the "keys" and given the promise of "the gift of infallibility." Also, the coverage about who was going to be the next Pope has really shown how divided Roman Catholicism is. Its funny how they criticize Protestant denominations as invalid because of their splintering, yet they are just as divided as Protestants!

Well those are my thoughts....nothing to significant, I think. I guess I'm still anxious to see what this Pope will do doctrinally for the Church. I expect him to do something but only because of His theological training. And now as Pope, he is able to make "infallible" pronounement Ex Cathedra if he so wishes. Who knows....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home